Sunday, 27 February 2022

Thirty-Nine 서른, 아홉 Episode 1 & 2 | Review

I’m starting on a new drama and I’m going to try to do an episode or 2 episode update instead of my usual whole drama review. I’m not sure how it’ll go but let’s give it a shot! 

This drama is currently ongoing and airing 2 episodes a week on Netflix. Hopefully, I can be patient and wait for the next week's episodes. 


Warning: Spoilers ahead, continue reading at your own risk. 

They start the drama off by introducing the relationship of the 3 ladies. The struggles of people at the age of 39. They highlight that people their age are at the stage where they begin attending funerals. 

They briefly show that they had to say goodbye to someone but the scene ended pretty quickly and they didn’t reveal who it was. 

I’m a few minutes into the drama and I’m already like the relationship of these 3 ladies. Their acting seems very realistic and relatable thus far.

I’m writing this as I watch episode 1 but I’m finding it hard to multitask, so I’ll check back when I’m done with this episode.

I've completed the first episode and I'm trying to pen down my thoughts quickly before I move on to the second episode (this pausing in between episodes actually requires more self-control than I thought it would need LOL). 

Just based on the first episode, I'm already quite invested in the storyline and can't wait to find out more? This is actually pretty unusual as I'm usually beginning to get interested around the 4th or 5th episode. I really hope this drama doesn't disappoint and lives up to the good first episode. 

They basically introduce the characters and lay down the main gist of the relationship of the 3 female leads and their lives. As mentioned, it all seems pretty realistic thus far. 

Mi Jo is making plans to take a sabbatical. Chan Yong is seen having an "affair" with someone she's known for years. At this time, not much has been revealed about Ji Hyun, I'm sure they'll reveal more as they develop the story.

They left us hanging at the end of episode 1 with a little cliffhanger. The person that is taking over Mi Jo temporarily as the director of her clinic is the man she just met and Chan Yong seems to be attempting to end her relationship/affair with the guy. 

Let's get on with episode 2. I will check back again after~ 

Episode 2 continues with Mi Jo talking with the new temporary director, Seon Woo, and Chan Yong ending things with Jin Seok. It gives us a glimpse of Ji Hyun making friends with the new restaurant owner, Hyun Joon. A little curious to find out what will happen between Ji Hyun and the restaurant owner... it feels like they are setting up the story for something to happen between them. 

We then meet Jin Seok's son, Ju Won. It seems to be hinting that there's a backstory regarding Ju Won and that's why Jin Seok has not been able to divorce his wife? 

The restaurant owner extends the opening hours of his restaurant from 8pm to 10pm. Ji Hyun misunderstood that he did it after she asked him about it but it was actually suggested by the district manager LOL awkward~ 

The 3 best friends are seen going for a full medical checkup before Mi Jo goes to America. Then heading out for drinks and dinner at the new restaurant in Ji Hyun's neighbourhood. So far, I enjoy the chemistry and relationship of the 3 friends. Their acting is so natural and makes me wonder if they are close in real life. The 3 actresses are the same age in real life too. 

Of course, Seon Woo walks into the restaurant... He's friends with the restaurant owner. Mi Jo's friends are basically trying to put them together. We see the relationship between Mi Jo and Seon Woo developing a little more (as expected). 

The next part comes a little as a shock... Mi Jo is seen rushing off to the hospital and initially, I thought that the medical report belonged to her but it turns out, it belonged to Chan Yong! It then flashes back to the funeral scene from the first episode and we now see that it's Chan Yong's funeral. 

Mi Jo then takes it out on Jin Seok. I guess she blames him and herself for creating stress for Chan Yong which then leads her to smoke more. Her smoking probably caused the cancer. 

Just 2 episodes into this drama and we are already on an emotional roller coaster. I'm not really complaining that it's going at a fast pace (draggy dramas are difficult to watch). I'm only worried that they are not able to continue the pace of the drama after the build-up. So far, this drama seems quite promising, I really hope it's not disappointing. 

There are a total of 12 episodes... I'll try to do reviews as I watch this drama. I do watch faster than I can type and review so we'll see how it goes~ till the next review. Take care and stay safe ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment