It's long overdue but finally, I'm writing my thoughts on Somi's XOXO!
I’m not sure if I’ve written reviews for Somi's songs in the past but I’ve been a fan since her debut… maybe even before her debut if you count I.O.I.
When she made her solo debut, I was excited, and I was pleasantly surprised. Birthday was a great song!
After Birthday, her next few comebacks all did well too, considering that she has a comeback only once a year.
Out of her title tracks, Birthday, What you waiting for, Dumb Dumb and XOXO, I like XOXO the most. I think it's great that she has a say in the making of her songs and Music Videos.
Here are my thoughts on her latest comeback!
XOXO is a follow up to the song Dumb Dumb. I already liked Dumb Dumb's concept and the MV was great too. It basically has that American High School kind of vibe and the story to the MV suited the song well.
If I recall correctly, Somi hasn't released any repackaged albums in the previous years so I wasn't her to release XOXO. I'm glad she did though! I loved XOXO! The MV was a continuation of the story of how she got dumped and she's taking revenge on the guy.
What makes XOXO one of my favourite Somi songs, is firstly the catchy tune! Yes, it's another "love at first listen" track and when I heard the teaser, I already knew I would like this song. I also felt that the song was made with TikTok in mind? (Nowadays, a lot of groups/singers are using TikTok as a platform for promotion) I've gotta say, Somi's TikTok challenges have been successful! Dumb Dumb's TikTok challenge was pretty popular too.
The beat of the song really gets you hooked. I could listen to it countless times back to back and not really get sick of it. I'd have to commend Somi's vocal ability. It definitely has improved! I know she has been insecure as seen on Unnie's Slamdunk and people have been commenting on her vocal instability. I feel for the live version of XOXO and B-side track Anymore, her vocals do sound more stable when singing those high notes. Well done!!
As mentioned, I loved how Somi had some creative direction in her MV and even casted her own father for a small role of a police officer. I mean the song and MV already belongs to her but these details make it more original.
Without wasting more time, enjoy Somi's XOXO~
Take care and stay safe!

No comments:
Post a Comment