I finished this drama yesterday and I haven’t really formed concrete thoughts about it yet. Overall, though, I'd say it wasn’t very pleased with the whole outcome of the drama and if I had to give it a rating, it’d be 6.5/10.
Those who have been reading my drama reviews (thank you if you do ♥), would probably know that I'm quite accepting of dramas with not-so-good plots if they have a happy ending or well-concluded ending.
This drama did not leave viewers hanging BUT... yes, the BUT... I feel they could’ve done so much better with the plot. It had so much potential...
I'm not sure how coherent this review is going to be but if you watched this drama and would like to hear my thoughts, please keep reading and join in the discussion.
Warning: This post may contain spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not wish to continue reading.
I'm dividing this drama into two parts... The first half is when the male lead was still visually impaired, and the second half is when he regained his sight.
I don’t have major issues with the first half of the drama. I felt the struggles and challenges the male and female leads faced were quite relatable. The events that happened were predictable and somewhat cliché but not cringe-worthy.
I liked how they highlighted that the female lead liked the male lead for just being him and not him that is the famous song composer. It was good that they included scenes to show her interest even before she found out his hidden identity, it made it more believable that she likes him for him. Then again, this kind of coincidence can only happen in dramas.
And now the beginning of the part that I (and many others) have issues with. How they broke up seemed reasonable, it was a huge misunderstanding and bad series of events happening at the same time. The female lead’s father was in the hospital recovering from serious surgery, but the male lead wasn’t doing well due to his own father’s close call with death, so the female lead flew back to coax him. The male lead wasn’t happy to see her and threw a tantrum, and they end up breaking up. She then misses the chance to say goodbye to her father as he passes on back in her hometown.
I feel that their breakup left many unanswered questions and happened quite quickly but at this point, I was hopeful the remaining episodes would answer these questions.
The second half begins here where we are brought 3 years into the future. The male lead went for surgery to regain his eyesight and takes over his father’s company successfully. It was revealed later that he did endure hardship, but he wanted to prove that he was worthy enough of the female lead and gain her mother’s approval. We do also see that both the male and female leads have not gotten over each other and they come into each other’s lives again.
The male lead then displays a possessive (borderline stalker) side of him and tries to win the female lead back. Now, it’s moving a little faster but still acceptable. The female lead doesn’t accept him back right away despite still loving him (so cliché) and this push-and-pull continues for a while. Things suddenly pick up speed when she realises she doesn’t want to lose him, and they get back together. They didn’t really talk things through except the time she got drunk and then they had a talk and declared their love for each other. From this point on, everything falls into place nicely with slight hiccups here and there as they try to pick up where they left off.
However, there was one point that stood out too. It was the part of how the male lead, during the 3 years of being separated, he continued to love her. That should be super romantic and possibly what the writers wanted that scene to feel like but it actually made it seem that whatever achievements the female lead made were not by her own efforts but because the male lead was pulling strings behind her back. So... I'm not sure if it were me, I would be thankful or feel touched by his efforts...
Then, finally, comes a big shocker (I did not see this one coming), the female lead has an imaginary friend. This particular friend died 3 years ago when they were trapped in the lift, but the female lead continues to see her and even confides in this friend. I was surprised by this revelation and was waiting to see how they would play this out, but ultimately, I was disappointed. I felt the writers were trying to show the male lead caring and looking after the female lead just like how she looked after him in the past, but it fell short. The writers may not have had enough screen time left to properly develop this idea. Just to sum it up quickly, up till the end, I still felt that the female lead loved the male lead more and had to accommodate the male lead’s habits more than he did to her.
There was so much potential but not much proper development of the events.
Overall, still not too bad a drama since it ended happily. I must add though, the male lead did well with portraying the part of a visually impaired character. It must not have been easy, but he did it well to make it believable.
So, I'm done with this review (a day after completing it, what an achievement)! I hope I don’t sound too disappointed (although I am still quite disappointed with the lack of development). Till the next drama review... take care and stay safe ♥

No comments:
Post a Comment