Sunday, 10 October 2021

My Fated Boy 我的邻居长不大 | Review

I have been into watching more Chinese dramas as compared to Korean dramas recently. I find that Chinese dramas, most of the time, are pretty predictable and thus, lighthearted. 

Lately, the Chinese dramas I’ve watched have somewhat similar storylines. Rather cliche storylines but not complaining as it makes it something easy to watch. 

Like every cliche or predictable drama that I’ve watched, I still end up watching them just to find out how the story unfolds. Even the most cliche dramas can end up cringe-worthy.


Warning: This post may contain spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not wish to continue reading. 

As usual, I’ll discuss some of the themes that stood out to me in the drama. 

Stereotypes 
I’ve realised that most dramas these days cover topics like that. I’m guessing they want to address and bring attention to these issues without outrightly discussing them. 

A few Chinese dramas (and even some Korean dramas) I’ve watched touched on the topic of ”姐弟恋”, relationships where there is a significant age gap and the girl is older is the older one. I guess it’s becoming more common these days but people or the mainly older generations aren’t so accepting of it yet. In most of these dramas, it’ll conclude with the couple receiving blessings but of course not after going through and overcoming challenges. 

In the drama, they had an age gap of 7 years with the male lead basically having a crush on the female lead since they were young. Although it was mostly romantic and pretty cliche, to a certain extent it was also quite unrealistic. Unrealistic but at the same time suitable for a drama storyline and thankfully not that cringe-worthy 👍🏻

Childhood friends 
This is another theme that’s been recurring in many Chinese dramas I’ve watched. They either have known each other since young and lost touch or they have just known each other for a long time. 

This drama shows them as childhood friends. Their parents are basically best friends and made a pact their kids would get married next time but the male lead ends up being born 7 years after the female lead so the parents kind of gave up hoping they would end up together. 

Oh! I have to make a special mention of how each episode was structured. At the beginning of every episode, they show a little flashback clip of the past. I liked that little detail the writers added in and how that flashback clip revealed a little of their relationship each time. It made their whole relationship more meaningful to viewers since we got to see the whole process. It wasn’t a necessary detail but it completed the whole story. 

Supportive companies 
I guess this was one of the main points or messages the drama wanted to send to their viewers. Fortunately for this couple, they had lots of support and the writers probably thought they needed to model a good example of the ideal supportive situation. But once again, it’s a drama so what is suitable for the drama world may seem a little unrealistic. 

Basically, the male lead was a singer so their relationship was somehow made public and they had to deal with the attacks. With the male lead’s company working together with the female lead’s company, they managed to handle and deal with the backlash. This part was a little unrealistic but it was gearing up for the happy ending so well at least everything wrapped up well for viewers. 

Ending
It was a happy ending, thankfully. I have to add that I noticed most Chinese dramas have pretty happy complete endings and this is something I appreciate. I don’t really prefer those open endings and I have to search for theories or ending explanations! This too is a pretty lighthearted, easy to watch drama. Do check it out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment