It’s been a while since I’ve written a drama review! I’ve been busy with work and have been putting off drama watching and using the time to sleep and rest instead.
First off, I love the webtoon that this drama is based on. I started reading the webtoon during “Circuit Breaker” last year and I was hooked from the first episode! When I heard they were making it into a drama, I was a little skeptical. How were they going to turn someone ugly into someone pretty?
As the webtoon is still ongoing I wasn’t sure what to expect with the drama. They definitely wouldn’t be able to follow the original webtoon since the storyline has yet to be complete. So I began watching wanting to find out how different it would be.
Warning: This post may contain spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not wish to continue reading.
For the most part of the drama, they actually kept to the same character names and roles but it was not 100% the same. For example, Selena was supposed to be Suho’s older sister but in the drama, she was just Jukyung’s boss at the makeup school. Not sure if I missed out on any characters that were different from the original webtoon so there may be more characters that are different.
Although the storyline was different, I liked that it didn’t seem awkward and it flowed well. I’ll briefly discuss the two themes that the drama addressed.
Beauty Standard
As everyone knows, the beauty standard in Korea is high. Everyone has to look their best and everything is about looks. Everyone would also know that Korea is the hub for cosmetic surgeries and procedures.
The base of this drama and webtoon is based on the female lead, Jukyung, becoming pretty with the help of makeup. It was an interesting concept the writer decided to go with instead of a permanent option like cosmetic surgery. It was interesting to see how she struggled in the beginning when she was still figuring out makeup and also how she transited from her bare-faced self to her beautified self.
It was definitely entertaining to watch how some of the parts in the webtoon were translated into real life.
The root of the issue of her having to beautify herself in the first place was actually due to bullying and most people may also already know that it’s another big issue in Korea.
Bullying
The initial cause of why Jukyung began putting on makeup was to hopefully avoid being bullied in her new school like how she was bullied at her previous school. Although the drama presented the whole topic of bullying in a pretty light-hearted manner, where Jukyung’s real self was found out and eventually, in the end, she stood up for herself but in reality… I’m sure people in the same situation probably wouldn’t have it that easy.
In fact, bullying is quite a prominent and real situation in Korea and it has been a topic being highlighted in the news recently where some Kpop idols’ bullying pasts have been revealed. I feel that the drama added this storyline in with hopes of encouraging those bullied to stand up for themselves and tell those bullies that they shouldn’t bully others in order to be accepted by others.
Ending
Although the drama didn’t follow the webtoon, it was still nice watching familiar characters appear and how close do that look to the webtoon version of themselves. Of course, it ended with a happy ending, y’all know how much I appreciate happy endings :) It’s worth the watch if you’re looking for a lighthearted drama so do check it out. Take care and stay safe!
No comments:
Post a Comment