Saturday, 23 January 2021

I Cannot Hug You 无法拥抱的你 | Review

I watched this drama some time ago and began on this drama review then but paused and didn't continue it for awhile. So here goes nothing! 

Over time, I've added more and more dramas to my "plan to watch" list on mydramalist and the list got really long. Thus far, I did drop a few dramas but most of the dramas I've watched in the recent months have not disappointed! Except maybe a web drama that I just completed... I'll save this for another post.  


For some strange reason, I actually started watching this from the beginning and not somewhere in the middle like what I normally do. Halfway through, I realised that this drama was 32 episodes only because there were 2 seasons! I wasn't complaining though, as the plot was really interesting and I wanted to see how it would play out. 

Warning: This post may contain spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not wish to continue reading. 

I've summed up the drama into some main themes. 

Fantasy
What drew me to this drama was mainly the fantasy theme of modern day vampires. I saw the trailer and some clips but wanted to see for myself how this story plot was going to play out, especially being a huge fan of the Twilight series. Like I've mentioned, fantasy plots aren't easy to write at all. 

To my relief, it was a believable story plot and it flowed really smoothly. I didn't have many questions or confusions about how modern day vampires existed and what they needed to do to survive. 

Sacrificial Love 
This actually seems like a common theme for most fantasy dramas. There'll be some form of sacrifice as part of the plot. The simplest of sacrifice in this drama, which was very cliche, was the vampire feeding off humans. Instead of the usual blood sucking vampires, the vampires in this drama absorb energy from humans. It's possible for the energy to be absorbed totally and the human just passes away. I feel it's a sacrifice on both the male and female leads where the human male lead wants to give his energy to the vampire female lead but she doesn't want to harm him. 

The second season of the drama also features another similar vampire-human relationship but the human female has already passed away. The male vampire wants to kidnap female lead to revive his deceased lover. In the end, the female lead ends up sacrificing herself to revive the male lead as he died trying to save her. It may sound confusing but it's really exciting when all these events are happening back to back. 

Ending
I have to always mention the ending. It's a huge deciding factor for me when I watch dramas or even before I decide to watch a drama. If I read up or hear that the ending isn't good, high chance I wouldn't even begin it.

Thankfully, this drama has a relatively happy ending without any unanswered questions. Yay. 

If you're looking for a good fantasy themed drama, do check this drama out! Till the next drama, mask up and stay safe ♥︎

No comments:

Post a Comment