Thursday, 31 December 2020

Kiss Goblin 키스요괴 | Review

Just before the year ends, let's try to complete this drama review! 

I don't think I've written a review a web drama before. Maybe I have some years ago but not recently. I found out about this drama from Facebook, they usually share those short clips from the interesting parts enticing people to watch the drama. Well, guess what? It worked! I wanted to find out what happens next. 


Warning: This post may contain spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not wish to continue reading. 

The clip that I watched featured the scene where the female lead protects the male lead, who is a goblin, from the exorcist trying to kill him. The exorcists main goal is to kill off goblins before they become human but he cannot kill humans. So the female and male lead decided to work together to complete the mission of kissing 10 girls to help the male lead become human from his current goblin state. Basically, the goblin is emotionless and by kissing each girl, he learns a new emotion. 

Fantasy 
I think I've mentioned this before but when it comes to dramas with a fantasy or mythical story line, it's very easy to go wrong. I feel adding too much or having too little elements can determine whether the story line is going to be good or cringe worthy. 

Thankfully, this web drama has just enough details to keep the viewers curious while ensuring that they don't leave too many questions unanswered. 

Ending
Although it wasn't a very long drama with 12 15-ish minutes episodes, it was enough to cover everything leading up to the ending and provided viewers with a complete ending. Complete in the sense that it wasn't an open ending or left up to viewers to guess how it would turn out after the ending credits. 

I liked how it wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. The little plot twist came unexpectedly and it fit in rather well with the flow of how they played things out. I really dislike plot twists that are added in just because they want to make it interesting and it doesn't really match with the flow of the story line. 

One thing I'd like to mention about this ending is that they really played with the emotions of the viewers. I liked how they did a little cross reference to the Goblin Queen's past experience, revealing the reason why she wasn't able to complete the final task and successfully turn into a human. 

Thinking back, I really liked how it ended and I definitely was impressed. 

Duration
When it comes to web dramas, it's different from regular dramas with longer episodes. Web dramas usually have episodes lasting from 10 to 30 minutes. There are a few web dramas with longer episodes but they are generally still shorter than regular dramas. With that, I tend to worry if they'll be able to cover everything properly or rush through the whole thing. I think it's really an art to know how and where to cut so it doesn't compromise the quality of the story. 

This drama, thankfully, was just nice. It didn't seemed rushed or like it was draggy. They really did well for a web drama. I was really impressed with quite areas of this drama. There are more web dramas being released these days especially with YouTube and Vlive but although they're mostly good, not all them have left me impressed. 

I highly recommend this web drama and something suitable for this New Year's weekend ♥ Take care and stay safe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment