Monday, 2 November 2020

Go Go Squid 亲爱的, 热爱的 | Review

There are many drama reviews waiting for me to complete writing! I have been watching lots of dramas lately but haven't had the time to complete a drama review. All these reviews just piles up if I don't begin writing them. 

So without further ado, let's discuss this Chinese drama, "Go Go Squid!" 

I heard some of my friends talking about this drama when it was first airing but I only started watching it when it came out of Netflix. Although I can understand Chinese but I still prefer to have English subtitles to support me LOL. 


Warning: This post may contain spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not wish to continue reading. 

There are a few themes appearing throughout the drama, I will discuss my views and thoughts on the drama according to these themes so as to make the reading light for the readers.

The main plot of the story is based around CTF competitions. CTF (Capture the flag) is an online competition related to cyber security and defending cyber systems. I thought it was an interesting topic to base a drama on considering how e-sports have gain more awareness in the recent years. 

Competitiveness and Camaraderie
Since it features competitions, they would definitely showcase competitiveness and maybe featuring some behind the scenes of how these e-sports players train for the competitions. Aside from the competitive spirit between the teams, they also feature how they help each other out and the friendship with each other. I guess since it's like a full time job for these e-sports players, they live together and spend a lot of time together. Even when they are new members joining the team, it was interesting to see how they developed that friendship. It was nice to see how they bonded well together and came to accept each other like a family. 

Love 
Of course, it wouldn't be called a drama without any romance! I liked how the romance played out in the end. The relationship of the male and female lead was that of an older male and a younger female. If I'm not wrong, the age gap was supposedly around 10 years. It initially started out with the girl being a fan of the male lead and then developing into a relationship. Although I felt it was kind of superficial at the start, where the writers were just adding in the romance just because, in the end it was nice to see how the female lead changed the male lead and how the male lead changed the female lead too. 

Aside from the romance aspect of love, there were other examples of love which I thought were worth watching. The love between the team leaders and the people under them. Although the male lead is a strict and fierce leader, his team members really respect him and with this respect, they willingly follow his lead. I actually viewed it as a takeaway point worth remembering especially for those who may take on leadership positions in the future. 

There's another point worth mentioning is the sacrificial love of the original team leader for his daughter. As they were on the road to making a name for themselves in the CTF industry, that team leader found out he was a father and because of that, he dissolved the team and the male lead retired from playing CTF. In the end, it was nice to see the bond and relationship between the father and daughter as well as how the original team members reconciled after so many years. 

On the whole, there were quite a lot of things going on for this drama and I'd say it's definitely worth watching. The best part is in the end everything is resolved and it doesn't really leave viewers hanging. 

For those who are interested in watching, you can find this drama on Netflix! Take care and stay safe ♥︎

No comments:

Post a Comment