When I first began on this drama, it had just finished airing so there were quite a few people and sites on my timeline talking about it. Being a Kpop fan, I wanted to check it out since Victoria was the female lead of this drama. Let me know if you started on this drama because of Victoria too! :)
As you may already know, I don't usually watch dramas from the beginning, choosing to start either in the middle or towards the end. I may even drop the drama if it fails to sustain my interest. However, I started this drama from the beginning and it managed to keep me interested throughout all 41 episodes. Chinese dramas tend to have more episodes huh.
Warning: This post will contain spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not wish to continue reading.
This drama explored quite a few themes so that's why it probably was able to keep me interested. It wasn't just the romance but there were quite a few other underlying themes. Thankfully, it wasn't so "in your face" like some other dramas where the message the writers wanted to relay took over the drama plot instead.
Societal Stereotypes
The main theme that kept coming up was mostly related to the thoughts of the people around them. It may be an Asian thing where the elders tend to care about the thoughts or opinions of others. The main stereotype in the drama was that you have to get married by a certain age to a compatible partner from a respectable background. The issues in the drama mainly revolved around this theme.
The female lead was a 32-year-old successful working adult and the male lead was 10 years younger than her. Due to the societal stereotypes, the drama showcases her inner struggle with the relationship and trying to make things work. Of course, eventually, she caves as she worries about what other people would think, which I think it's a very real situation that people do still face or have faced before.
I thought the writers did well when they introduced a contrasting view when the female lead's brother ends up in a relationship with a girl 10 years younger than him but he did not receive as much backlash as her.
Characters' Backstory
If I remember correctly, this drama was the first Chinese drama I've watched in a while. I was impressed with the plot and story that was presented to viewers. At first, I was wondering how could a drama possibly be 41 episodes but as the story developed, I was thankful to the writers. It was well planned and for every backstory that they began, they wrapped it up. I'm so glad they didn't leave us hanging!
Again with the backstories, they featured various issues that could also receive negative feedback from people in the society. For example, cohabitation without marriage in mind, cheating spouse, shotgun wedding, etc. It was good how they addressed these issues and overcame them in the end.
Plot Twists
I'm not sure if you could call these plot twists but there were some unexpected scenes in this drama which made me go, "what just happened?". I always appreciate dramas that have that effect on me, there are too many predictable dramas out there these days so something new and fresh is the best. I like how these twists didn't seem forced and just came up in the storyline naturally.
I feel that dramas that are pre-filmed (most Chinese dramas are pre-filmed) have a better flow of the story, unlike some Korean dramas that are filmed as the drama airs. They don't have much time to edit and they often make last-minute changes to the story plot based on viewers responses. So some dramas turn out differently from how it was written and may not be as favourable to viewers :/
On the whole, I really like this drama and would recommend it especially if you're looking for a new drama to watch during this quarantine period! If you've watched this drama and loved it too, do share your thoughts in the comments :) Take care and stay safe!


No comments:
Post a Comment