Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Drama Queen: Bring It On Ghost ;1st Impression ︎♥︎

So I seem to have quite a lot of free time on hand. Especially since I’ve been on leave for quite a few days last week and the week before. So here I'm bringing to you another drama first impression!

I'll be discussing TvN’s drama Bring It On Ghost 싸우자 귀신아.



I wasn't going to watch this drama because of course there are ghosts in this drama and they do look freakishly scary and real despite it being CG. But I completed catching up with Doctors and had nothing to watch so I just started on it. Besides my sister highly recommended it.

Note: This post will contain spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not want to continue reading.

Characters

We are introduced to the main character Park Bong Pal, played by Taecyeon. He's a university student that can see ghosts. So he works as a ghost catcher to earn extra money. I was a bit doubtful about Taecyeon’s acting but it has definitely improved since Dream High. Plus the tough character of Bong Pal actually suits him well. Considering 2PM is known to be a beastly group.


Then there's our female lead, Kim Hyun Ji, played by Kim So Hyun. She's a wandering ghost and she's trying to figure out how to cross to the other side (pretty similar to Oh My Ghostess). She doesn't remember anything from her past (once again similarl to Oh My Ghostess) and that left her wandering around for 5 years. She ends up working with Bong Pal, eliminating ghosts together. Needless to say, she falls for Bong Pal and begins the love line.

Another important character would be Joo Hye Sung, played by Kwon Yool. He’s a professor in Bong Pal’s university and he’s also a vet. He's the guy with the black smoke or evil spirit attached to his body (similar to Oh My Ghostess). Basically I don't know what his real deal is yet but he ain't someone good. To think someone that handsome can be so evil too. Aside from that, the puppies featured in the drama are just too cute!



Plot

There are quite a few striking similarities between this drama and Oh My Ghostess, which was also a TvN drama. Surprisingly they do not have similar directors or screenwriters, maybe they have the same editors or just because it’s on TvN so they made it similar.

The drama is based on a 2007 webtoon written by Im In Seu. So basically in every episode, there’s a case they will kind of solve. If I’m not wrong it’s similar to Ghost Whisperer, where she helps the dead cross over. So in this drama, the ghost either crosses over, disappearing with white smoke, or get destroyed, red smoke.

Basically, Hyun Ji is a ghost that doesn't remember her past but suddenly gets a glimpse of it after fighting with Bong Pal and accidentally kissing him. So she follows him around hoping to find out more about her past and then ends up fighting off ghosts together with him. Needless to say, ultimately sparks do fly between the two and they end up together as a human and ghost couple. Most viewers are suspicious of Hyun Ji's existence though. She's an opaque and humanlike ghost unlike the other ghosts that are kind of translucent and they glow.

As per all Korean dramas, nothing ever goes on smoothly. We find out about the evil professor and also get to see snippets of Hyun Ji's past. I like how they developed it in such a way where viewers slowly discover how evil the professor is. Through each scene we get to see the real professor and find out what he's up to. I really hope that they get rid of him in the end.

Currently I can’t say how the drama will end. Just 10 episodes into the show so all that I can say is that it seems quite predictable and yet they’re not revealing much to us. I predict that, of course, the bad guy will get his just desserts and as for the good guys, I hope Bong Pal maybe finds some closure. If all else fails, then maybe they’ll just have an ending similar to Oh My Ghostess, which isn’t too bad either.



Stay tuned for the full review when this drama ends. In the meantime, don't forget to catch this drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment