Friday, 1 July 2016

Drama Discussion: Descendants of the Sun ♥︎

Finally *drum rolls* after weeks of writing and editing, I've completed this drama review! Been juggling writing this along with various reports for work so it's taken me awhile to get it out. So without further ado, here are my overall thoughts on the hit drama Descendants of the Sun! With this review, I'll be finally saying goodbye to this drama...


If you have not read my first impression post, you may do so here. I highly recommend reading it before continuing on with this post as I will not repeat some information. This post will probably contain more words than photos, though I will try my best to insert some (Song Joong Ki) photos to make reading more enjoyable.

Note: This post will contain A LOT of spoilers so if you have not watched the drama, you may not wish to continue reading.

Firstly, I have no idea where or how to begin writing this overall review. That’s probably why I’ve been putting it off until now. A lot has happened in this drama and I’m sure those who’ve watched it would agree. I honestly think that someone should give this screenwriter an award. Although there are some flaws in the storyline, like every drama would have, on the whole I think the storyline is quite unique for a Korean drama.

Characters

Previously I’ve introduced and discussed some of the characters already so I won’t into so much detail. I shall just write my concluding thoughts on each of the characters. Hopefully it’ll make sense. It probably makes more sense in my head.


Firstly there’s Yoo Si Jin played by Song Joong Ki. I wrote that I was unsure of his character at the start. I was mostly questioning in sincerity because it seemed too good to be true. Like falling in love at first sight and everything. Right up till the end, that sense of perfectness doesn’t go away. Captain Yoo is definitely someone that doesn’t exist in real life. He’s the perfect boyfriend except that his job is really dangerous. Plus, he seems to be able to do everything. He isn't just a special force soldier... he’s superman. I still agree that Song Joong Ki is the best choice for this role of Captain Yoo. I can’t see any other actor playing this role and being successful at it.

Then there’s Kang Mo Yeon played by Song Hye Gyo. She’s probably the person people are envious of right now for acting alongside Song Joong Ki (and a lot of other hot actors). I think she did a pretty good job portraying the role though I must say the drunken scene was very awkward. Although I don’t feel like Kang Mo Yeon is the typical damsel in distress kind of character, in the end it did turn out to be that way, as they had to make Captain Yoo look like the hero. At least she isn’t weak.


The supporting couple is probably really popular right now too. Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won probably shot to fame for playing Seo Dae Young and Yoon Myeong Ju. Although they have a 12-year age gap, it’s probably not noticeable as Kim Ji Won did a pretty good job playing Myeong Ju. I’m glad that their complicated love line ended up with a happily ever after and that Seo Dae Young didn’t have to keep running away from her. On the whole, I felt that the tension between the couple was well planned. I could feel the build up from the beginning of the drama till the end.

Of course I’ll have to mention Onew, Lee Jin Ki. He played Lee Chi Hoon. Oh boy, I thought his acting was good at the beginning but it got even better. When he was heartbroken, I felt the heartbreak along with him. For a rookie actor, his crying scenes were really something. It probably wouldn’t have been easy to gather the emotions and portray it correctly but I think he did a pretty good job. It was very believable. And when he started smiling again, it could make fans heart melt. Oh yes! I liked the cute little relationship he had with the boy ‘Blackie’. Once again, they probably could do a good job developing the characters and scene because it was pre-filmed.



Lastly, we have to give it up for the supporting cast as well. It was revealed during the special episode that most of the children and teen actors were from Greece and didn’t have much experience. I think they helped make the show more realistic. Really have to give it up for Argus (played by David McInnis) as well. I think although at some points his acting was a little awkward, nonetheless he still played an important role as our bad guy. Despite the awkwardness, he really felt like a bad guy and as a viewer, I really disliked him. Hahaha.


Plot

Based on my first impression post, I think my prediction was somewhat on point. I felt that they were building up and pre-empting the viewers for something bigger to come, the peak of the drama as some would call it. Although the bad guys were introduced, their scenes were mostly touch-and-go without actually having much resolution to their conflict, indicating that there’s more to come. Prior to that, there were exciting and thrilling scenes too but they all seemed to be interlinked, slowly adding information leading us to the big finale.

In episode 12, we see finally get to see what happens between Argus and Yoo Si Jin. Aside from the love story aspect, the other exciting scenes had a hint of Argus that made everyone wonder when Yoo Si Jin would finally take him out. It was pretty obvious as Yoo Si Jin gave Argus many chances to escape, which in real life that totally would not be the case. That scene where Yoo Si Jin finally takes care of Argus really kept me at the edge of my seat.



Once the bad guy was taken care of, they would have to, of course, settle the love lines. But before that we get a glimpse of the relationship between Yoo Si Jin and the North Korean soldier whose name escapes me. Sorry. Later on it’ll be revealed that this relationship (friendship) is very crucial for the last episode. I really liked how they switched between light and heavy scenes during episode 13 and 14. One second they’re all decked out in black on a rooftop waiting to take a sniper hit, the next they’re being goofy in the hospital room, then they switch to another serious scene with Yoon Myeong Ju and Seo Dae Young. Definitely a perk of filming a drama beforehand as they can spend more time editing and pay more attention to how things flow.


The last two episodes were something as well! Although a part of me was expecting the story to flow this way, I didn’t expect that it would really happen and how it would turn out. I predicted that if they wanted to kill a character it would be Seo Dae Young as most Korean dramas had their second male lead suffering that fate. Little did I expect that both Yoo Si Jin and Seo Dae Young would die! I seriously couldn’t hold back my tears while watching this episode. Normally I would be able to just control and get through with watching the episode but this time round I had to reach for those tissues.

The Ending

When I say ending, I mean the entire whole last episode! Honestly, after that second last episode, I didn’t know what to think of expect from the last episode. After killing off the two male leads, it seriously couldn’t get any worse than that. But of course, I was hoping they wouldn’t really kill them and since they weren’t able to find the bodies, there was a chance that they might be hiding somewhere. (When you’ve watched enough dramas it’s hard to accept what they give you and always explore with other options, if you get what I mean.)

Of course, my suspicions were confirmed when Big Boss’ voice is heard over the walkie-talkie. Then all of a sudden all the Line messages to Yoo Si Jin is read. At that point in time, my mind was totally blown. I was happy but mind totally blown. I remember that there were many questions in my head. The questions were mostly about how he was alive and if he was alive, why did he not contact anyone for a year. Not only that, how did he get data connection in the dessert or how did he even get his phone after being captured? Samsung is probably a super strong phone. Super obvious product placements throughout the drama, like how could we possibly not notice.



The next question mark that pops up would be how Yoo Si Jin and Seo Dae Young got rescued. This is the part that I was talking about before, how their North Korean soldier friend would be important. They didn’t give any details but through a flashback we suddenly see this North Korean soldier coming to their rescue and suddenly he becomes everyone’s best friend. Hahaha. They don’t add any more details though. I guess at that point we were all too happy that they didn’t die to have thought of all the technicalities anyway 😂



Overall, I liked how the drama ended. It ended on a light note with everyone happy, alive and getting their happily-ever-after. Although it is very cliché and expected, I couldn’t have asked for a different ending. I liked the scenes that the two couples got – Yoo Si Jin and Kang Mo Yeon at the shipwreck beach, Seo Dae Young and Yoon Myeong Ju at the army camp. It wrapped up their relationships nicely and I have to make special mention of Song Joong Ki’s white shirt. It’s a really nice shirt. Plus rolled up sleeves. And his voice... I really like that low deep voice 😍

Finally, I shall end of with the quote of the drama, “방법이 없진 않죠”.

No comments:

Post a Comment