Thursday, 30 July 2015

Drama Discussion: Ex Girlfriends Club ♥︎

Here's another drama review! I'll be discussing TvN's Ex Girlfriend Club 구여친클럽!


As you may know, I'm quite picky with the dramas I watch. I was a little hesitant when my friend told me to watch this drama. (Yes, I've drama buddies. We watch dramas together and then discuss about them afterward.)

The description on Asianwiki reads:
Soo-Jin (Song Ji-Hyo) is a producer at a film production company. Her company decides to make a film based on a popular webcomic by Myeong-Soo’s (Byun Yo-Han). The webcomic is about Myeong-Soo's ex-girlfriends. It just so happens, Soo-Jin is also an ex-girlfriend of Myeong-Soo. Now, Soo-Jin has to interact with her ex-boyfriend and his 3 ex-girlfriends: Hwa-Young (Lee Yoon-Ji), Ji-A (Jang Ji-Eun) and Ra-Ra (Hwa Young).
I didn't really stand out at first but after my friend insisted, I gave in and started watching this drama. I definitely wasn't disappointed! For 12 episodes this drama managed to develop all the various plots.

The Characters.

The female lead, Kim Soojin, was played by Song Jihyo. She's a single lady in her 30s still living with her sister. She's also a well known producer with an award for a movie she produced some years back. The drama sets her to be someone dedicated to her job and she isn't portrayed as a typically damsel in distress.

The male lead, Bang Myeongsoo, played by Byun Yohan is a webtoon artist and is popular amongst the ladies. He's the main character of the webtoon/movie that features his life and his ex girlfriends. He's the typical Korean guy that has a complicated love life. He's also supposed to be the kind that is popular amongst the ladies. As you would notice from the drama, his ex girlfriends are all of different characters so maybe they're trying to highlight that he's popular amongst all different types of ladies.

The other three important characters would be the three ex girlfriends. They are represented differently by three animals which you'll find out when you watch the drama. I think that these three characters are the main element that makes the show light hearted and funny.

Oh! I feel that another important character would also be the director. He was something like a catalyst that helped the plot progress smoothly. If his character was taken out, I think the whole story line would have just fallen apart.

The Plot.

So basically, the title of the drama sums up what the entire drama is about. Soojin is tasked to produce a movie that is taken from this popular webtoon that is written by Myeongsoo. The title of this webtoon/movie is none other than 'Ex Girlfriends Club'.

The drama takes us through the relationships between all the characters. It's actually quite funny watching them get to know each other and how they work together. I guess that's what makes this drama comical. The other side of the drama shows us the challenges they face while producing the movie and also the challenge of solving their complicated relationships.

Despite the highs and lows of the story plot, it flows pretty smoothly so it isn't at all abrupt.

The Ending.

Although it was rather predictable, as most Korean dramas are, I still was a little curious as to how they would end this drama off. There were two versions of the ending I predicted:
  1. They would make the movie successfully but Soojin and Myeongsoo would have to sacrifice their relationship. 
  2. The movie wouldn't be a success but Soojin and Myeongsoo would become successful in other aspect.
Well, this is just what I thought could have happened. I always expect some sort of twist especially since Korean dramas seem to have a certain style of endings. The older dramas had better endings, recently the endings are pretty brief and in certain cases, they don't even address some issues at the end. I really dislike dramas that leaves me with question marks.

Thankfully, the most viewers would probably be satisfied with the ending for this drama. It was good enough for a short drama like this.


That's all from me on the Korean drama Ex Girlfriends Club! I would recommend this drama for those who enjoy romantic comedies. Do let me know if you're watching any interesting dramas lately and what are your thoughts on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment