Initially, I was very excited to start watching this drama! Just sometime last year I started reading Korean webtoons and I found Orange Marmalade to be very interesting. I tried reading it in Korean at first but switched to reading the translated version just to read it much faster.
When I first started watching the drama, I expected it to be as similar as possible to the original webtoon. I mean that has been the case for many other webtoons that have been adapted into a drama. Even if there were changes, it wouldn't be too different.
I was enjoying that Orange Marmalade drama up till the end of episode 4. All of a sudden, I'm confused and not very interested anymore. The drama suddenly takes you back to the Joseon era which is nothing like the webtoon. I was expecting a high school vampire love drama but all of a sudden we get thrown back in time. Sure there's romance and the main idea of vampires still remains but oh boy, it was so confusing!
So I stopped watching...
But, I'll still continue to discuss this drama to the best I can.
The Characters.
The main lead, Baek Mari is played by Seolhyun from AOA. As I've read the webtoon, I somewhat already had an idea of what Baek Mari would be like. Although my friend didn't like Seolhyun's acting, I thought she did a pretty good job in portraying the character. I felt she could act out the and express the same feelings the original webtoon artist had intended. Being a vampire, it was hard for her to live in and integrate in a human society. I didn't think she was awkward and it was very believable. Being believable is an important factor for an actor.
The male lead, Jung Jaemin played by Yeo Jingoo. He is a good actor but I don't think he really resembles the original character from the webtoon. I think because they modified the drama, they altered his role as well. Jung Jaemin in the webtoon was way more distant and not as accepting as the drama Jung Jaemin.
I felt that Lee Jonghyun of CNBLUE played the role of a vampire well. He possessed the characteristics that Han Sihoo had in the webtoon. The rash personality and wanting to stand up for his kind. I think he portrayed the role well. It's my first time seeing him act so I was quite surprised.
The Plot.
I think even before they travelled back into time, there were already a lot of unanswered questions that left me very confused. I have the feeling the writers already planned to have a historical drama but since they are using the title Orange Marmalade and probably got inspired by this webtoon, they had to include some of the original parts in this drama. Or maybe that was the criteria the webtoon artist set if they wanted to use his webtoon.
So they rushed through the first 4 episodes trying to cover as much information taken from the webtoon before they jump into their own storyline which is instead set in the Joseon era.
I can't say much on this aspect because I stopped watching it after they travelled back in time. It suddenly didn't seem interesting to me anymore.
That's all I have to say about Orange Marmalade for now! I haven't decided if I should continue watching or totally give up on this drama. Can somebody help me decide? Haha.

No comments:
Post a Comment