Friday, 10 April 2015

Drama Discussion: Hyde Jekyll Me ♥︎

The latest drama I've watched, Hyde Jekyll Me! Shall try to complete this post as soon as possible! Especially since I've just finished watching this drama! It would be better to complete this post before I forget the important details!

Let's get started!


So basically, I didn't start watching this drama when it first aired. I started watching when it aired about 14 episodes. While I was on leave from work, I started watching it and completed watching 14 episodes in 2 days. This is what serial drama watchers can do >< be afraid, be very afraid... 

Note: I'll try my best but I can't guarantee there won't be any spoilers. Read with caution. I did warn you.

The Characters.


Goo Seojin and Robin are both played by Hyunbin. The story revolves around Goo Seojin as he has Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). DID is a mental illness in which Seojin created Robin. He created Robin to save and protect people after a traumatic experience he had from his past. Honestly, I do feel the role of Seojin was pretty type casted since Hyunbin did play a similar role in Secret Garden. But I did think he did pretty not bad for the role of Robin. Since Robin was totally opposite of Seojin. I could believe they were different so that means he succeeded.

Somewhere along, Robin falls for Hana. Jang Hana is played by Han Jimin. Jang Hana, well I'm not sure what to say about her character. She's sort of has a stubborn but also strong personality, it's not your typical Korean girl kind of character. However, there were times I got annoyed with her character. Annoyed with her indecisiveness.

A supporting character that stood out would be Seojin's personal assistant, Youngchan, played by Lee Seungjoon. As he dealt with the different identities of Seojin on a personal level, it was quite funny to see how he interacted with both of them. The difference provided some sort of comic relief at certain points of the drama.

The Plot.

I was deciding which drama to watch when this story line caught my attention. Although it was similar to Kill Me Heal Me, I decided to start watching this first.

I've watched a few CSI or Criminal Minds episodes featuring this illness and it just seems quite difficult for me to picture. Of course, after watching this whole drama, I really was wondering if this illness was really like how it was portrayed in the drama. Nonetheless, I was curious to find out how the drama would end, therefore I continued watching.

To me, it seemed quite predictable. There were certain scenes that I expected and was totally not surprised when it happened. But I mean there are a few ways a story line like that can go and it's usually quite cliche. In hopes of a happy ending and the need to know what happened in the end, that kept me watching.

I quite liked that Seojun ended up friends again with his childhood friend. I kind of wished that would happen while I was watching the drama. Like I've mentioned, it was quite predictable so I expected that after the climax of the drama, there would be one more problem to solve. Ultimately, in all such dramas with mental illnesses, the ending would involve some sort of solution. See, rather predictable but still interesting.

Do I regret watching this drama? Nope. I quite liked how it turned out. Although there were some questionable parts, I think that's unavoidable. There are always scenes that make you go, 'huh?'.

There was this one scene that confused me quite a bit. I didn't even realise Hana's friend found out about Seojin's mental illness? She was comforting Hana when Robin was slowly fading away. That made me a little confused. If someone could so very kindly shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it! 

The Ending.

I actually quite like the ending! Usually I tend to have quite high expectations for the endings and most of the time the ending doesn't really match my expectations. I had pretty high expectations for the ending of this drama as I was wondering how they could possibly tie everything together and end it nicely. I really dislike endings that still leave the audience with unanswered questions.

I guess how this drama ended was pretty close to what I expected and hoped for. To me, it was still slightly abrupt and had me going, "like that also can" but at least we weren't left hanging and everything ended happily.

I just found it a little annoying when Hana refused to accept Seojin and insisted she only liked Robin until like the very end. Then again, if she did have feelings for both of them, the story line could have expanded and maybe even more questions would have resulted. So I'm glad that it ended how it ended.



That's it for this drama discussion on Hyde Jekyll Me! Hope it'll be a drama that you'll watch too! Feel free to leave comments with your thoughts or drop your questions by click on the ASK button above! Till next time, I've more dramas to watch ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment