Tuesday, 25 June 2013

반말 (Banmal) | Mini Korean Lesson


반말, read as ban-mal, is basically informal speech or half speech in the Korean language. It is usually used when speaking to close friends and people younger than you are. If you were to speak to someone older, you have to speak 존댓말 which is speaking politely or honorifics. 

If you're meeting someone for the first time, you wouldn't want to use informal speech as it would be considered as being rude or having no manners. 

Usually, you have to get permission to use informal speech. If you're speaking to someone older, you may give the older person permission to use informal speech. If f the older person gives you (the younger person) permission to use informal speech, only then can you start speaking in informal speech. 

If the same age as the person you are speaking to (동갑), you can both agree to use informal speech with each other, probably after some time of chatting or getting to know each other. 

There are also instances where a younger person may decide to continue speaking formally to an older person despite receiving permission to use informal speech. It really depends on the person and there's no fixed rule about when to use informal speech. 

I've been learning Korean for 2 years, almost 3 years (in 2013) and I can't say it bugs me any less that people use 반말 (banmal) when they're talking to me then as compared to now. 

*Note: It's 2022 now and as I'm editing this...  I feel there's more awareness about the Korean language now and more people have picked up Korean over the years too. So, I feel lesser people are using informal speech right from the get-go. 

You may find some examples below of formal and informal speech. The examples are based on my own personal experience learning Korean. 

When introducing yourself

I'll use my own name in the examples below. 

Honorific or polite speech: 안녕하세요. 저는 피델리아 입니다 OR 안녕하세요. 저는 피델리아 이에요. (Hello. I am Fidelia.)

Informal speech: 안녕. 피델리아 이야. (Hi. I am Fidelia.)

In the above example, the endings are different. Informal speech is usually without using "요". If you're introducing yourself to a Korean or someone in Korean for the first time, it's safer to end your sentences with "요" if you aren't sure. 

Asking someone what they are doing

Honorific or polite speech: 지금 뭐하십니까? OR 지금 뭐해요? 

Informal speech: 지금 뭐해? 

In the example, it's the same as the previous one where the ending changes. If this conversation were to be spoken, the tone in which the sentences are spoken would change too. Informal speech would sound friendlier whereas the others would have a more serious tone. 

If you need a more detailed explanation, this is a helpful explanation on informal speech, 반말, from ttmik.com ^^

Hope this was helpful ^^

If you have questions or you need help with Korean, leave a comment/post a question below. Let me know if you'd like me to do more of such posts in the comments too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment